Mr. Sperling joined Sperling & Slater full time in 2018. He has experience in a variety of complex commercial litigation matters, including intellectual property disputes and licensing, real estate, business disputes, and securities and class actions. Prior to joining Sperling & Slater, Mr. Sperling was a partner at the Law Offices of Steven G. Lisa, Ltd, where he was responsible for licensing and litigation in connection with one of the largest patent portfolios in the world relating to text messaging. The licensing program, considered one of the more successful campaigns in the last several decades (see https://www.ipwatchdog.com/2020/11/30/maximizing-patent-portfolio-using-helferich-style-claims/id=127622/), resulted in over 200 licensees and the filing of over 20 lawsuits, all while generating several hundred million dollars in licensing revenues for the client. In his early years as a lawyer, Mr. Sperling worked as trial attorney for one of Chicago’s most aggressive insurance companies, trying over 30 jury trials to verdict.
- Helferich Patent Licensing, LLC v. New York Times, Co.
- Helferich Patent Licensing, LLC v. CBS Corporation
- Helferich Patent Licensing, LLC v. J.C. Penney Corp.
- Wanxiang Sterling Stetson Owner, LLC v. Tribune Publishing Complany, LLC
- Dreadnought Partners, LLC, et al., v. A Lawrence Carroll, et al.
- Gary Leff v. Allyson Estey
- University of Chicago Law School (J.D. 2007)
- University of Michigan, BSE Mechanical Engineering (B.S.E. Mechanical Engineering. 2000)
- Illinois (2007)
- US District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)