Scott Hessell has represented clients in complex commercial disputes throughout the country in both state and federal courts, as well as arbitration tribunals. He co-leads Sperling & Slater’s tax shelter liability practice which has successfully recovered in excess of $70,000,000 for the firm’s clients from the professionals who designed, marketed and implemented sham tax strategies in the late 1990’s and early 2000’s.
Prior to joining Sperling & Slater in 2006, Mr. Hessell spent four years as a litigation associate at the Chicago office of Kirkland & Ellis and also served as a law clerk to the Hon. Karen LeCraft Henderson (D.C. Cir.).
- “Attempting to Put the Genie Back in the Bottle — Is ‘Selective’ Waiver of Attorney-Client an Work-Product Privileges Dead?”
- “Limited Scope Tax Engagements – Not as Limited as You Think,” Tax Notes, April 4, 2016.,
- University of Chicago Law School (J.D. 2001)
- with Honors
- University of Michigan (B.A. in Political Science 1997)
- Illinois (2001)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar, 2008)
Memberships and Professional Affiliations
- Chicago Bar Association
- Decalogue Society
- National Urban Debate League (Chicago Debate Commission)
- University of Michigan Debate Alumni Association
- Bernard Zell Anshe Emet Day School