Ms. Murphy joined Sperling & Slater as a partner in 2000 after spending eleven years at the Chicago office of Kirkland & Ellis, where she became a partner in 1995. Ms. Murphy’s litigation practice spans a variety of areas, including complex commercial litigation, bankruptcy litigation, director & officer liability, securities law, franchise law, employment law, and intellectual property. She has practiced in federal and state courts throughout the United States.
Ms. Murphy also serves as the general counsel to a prominent Chicago family office and in that role deals with a wide range of issues and subject areas, including estate planning, corporate structuring and governance, mergers & acquisitions, real estate, financings, hotel and restaurant management and development, and secured transactions. Ms. Murphy also served as the general counsel and corporate secretary to a public company, Levy Acquisition Corp.
- Good Faith Settlement Under The Contribution Act: Do Trial Courts Have Too Much Discretion? 20 Loyola U. Chi. Law Journal (1989),
- 1986-1987 Illinois Law Survey: Torts, 19 Loyola U. Chi. Law Journal 751 (1988),
- Loyola University of Chicago School of Law (J.D. 1989)
- magna cum laude
- Graduated Second in Class
- Lead Articles Editor, Loyola University of Chicago Law Journal
- University of Notre Dame (B.A. in Great Books 1982)
- cum laude
- Illinois (1989)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (1989) (Trial Bar 1999-2012)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit (1991)
Memberships and Professional Affiliations
- Illinois Bar Association
- American Bar Association